Tips for Staying Organized and Making Use of your Time During the Holidays
Getting organized and streamlining your tasks, especially during the craziness of the holidays, can help you prioritize, help you save time, and even make you more profitable during this peak business time of the year.
If you are really able to follow a few helpful systems to help you stay organized during this holiday time, you’ll end up spending less time participating in mundane tasks that suck time away from the truly important things during this season.
Here are some tips for getting organized and making sure that your time is devoted to getting your work done, so you can sit down, relax, and enjoy the holidays with your friends and family.
- Clean off your desk. A clear desk means a clear mind. How can you focus on one task, when there are six more stacked around you? Make your desk clean enough, so that you can work on one thing at a time. The sooner you can clean off your desk, the better, but it’s not too late to clean it today.
- Institute a filing system. If you don’t already have a filing system, now is the time to make one. Whether it is alphabetical, by topic, or chronological, make sure you have a place to store every piece of paper that comes across your desk, so that you can find it again.
- Answer emails or phone messages in batches. Instead of jumping to return every email or message as it comes in, save them for a specific point during the day and do them in batches. Not only will this prevent you from being distracted from your other work by these tasks, but also it will up your efficiency overall.
- Get in the habit of cleaning at the end of the day. Before you finish up and head home for the night, make sure your desk and other workspaces are totally clean, so you can come in tomorrow morning fresh and ready to work. As you return to a clean desk, you can dive right into work, instead of having to use the precious energy of the morning up by cleaning and organizing.
- End the week with an office purge. It’s time to get rid of all those extra papers, electronics, voice messages, and emails that you have just lying around your office. If you really don’t need something anymore, get rid of it.
- Give yourself a schedule. Even if you don’t schedule meetings or appointments as part of your daily tasks, you can still benefit from a schedule. It will allow you to create a list of things you need to do that day or even schedule them for future days, so that nothing falls through the cracks and you make better use of your time.
Getting organized and learning to make better use of your time doesn’t have to be difficult, and as you stay organized during the holidays, you will have more time to spend with your family. Here are more ideas for staying organized and some for improving your use of time. For more small business tips, check back with the Shield Funding blog regularly.
- Business Loans for CoronaVirus Affected Small Businesses - March 21, 2020
- Top Business Resources for Women Veteran Owned Businesses - March 5, 2020
- Small Business Borrowing Success Stories - February 5, 2020